blue plate

A guide to Swedish authorities

When moving to a new country it can be a challenge to understand who does what. Here is your guide through the jungle of public authorities.

Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket)

The Migration Agency considers applications from people who want to work or take up permanent residence in Sweden, come for a visit, seek protection from persecution or become Swedish citizens.

Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket)

The Tax Agency is responsible for collecting the country’s taxes and its population register. It handles your tax returns and also issues personal identity and coordination numbers, birth certificates and identity cards.  

Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan)

The Social Insurance Agency is responsible for Sweden’s social security system. It handles applications for things such as parental benefits, sickness benefits and compensation for injuries in the workplace.

Swedish Public Employment Agency (Arbetsförmedlingen)

The Employment Agency can help you find work and start a business in Sweden. It has the country’s largest job bank, provides free support and advice and also arranges recruitment meetings and information seminars.

Swedish Customs (Tullverket)

Swedish Customs control what comes in and out of Sweden. On its website you will find information about what you can and can’t bring with you, and what items should be declared.

Police (Polis)

You should contact the Police if you want to report a crime or if you have been subjected to a crime and you want to see what support is available. If you become a Swedish citizen, the police also issue passports. In an emergency call 112. For non-urgent matters call 114 14.

National Agency for Education (Skolverket)

The Agency for Education is responsible for Sweden’s public school system. On its website, you can find out more about the Swedish education system.

Swedish Council for Higher Education (Universitets- och högskolerådet)

The Council for Higher Education processes and coordinates admissions to most higher education courses and programmes in Sweden – applications are made through its website The agency also evaluates foreign upper-secondary, post-secondary and academic qualifications and compares them to Swedish qualifications.

Swedish Transport Agency (Transportstyrelsen)

The Transport Agency stipulates road rules and monitors how they are followed, issues driver's licenses, registers a change of ownership for vehicles, and manages congestion and vehicle taxation.

Swedish Transport Administration (Trafikverket)

The Transport Administration administers the theoretical and driving tests needed to receive a driving licence.

Upcoming events