Cars on red bridge in Gothenburg

Driving in Sweden

If you have a valid driving licence from another country, it may be valid in Sweden. The conditions vary, however, depending on the country where it was issued.

A driver’s licence that was issued in an EEA country is valid throughout your stay. If you are a permanent resident in Sweden, you can even apply to exchange your licence for an equivalent Swedish driver’s licence.

A driver’s licence that was issued in non-EEA countries (excluding Switzerland and Japan) is valid for a maximum of one year in Sweden.

A non-EEA driving licence can’t be exchanged for a Swedish equivalent. If you want to continue driving in Sweden you will have to complete the risk education, and theory and practical examinations.

Licences issued in Japan and Switzerland can be exchanged into a Swedish equivalent as long as it is done within one year.

For more information on driving in Sweden and exchanging your foreign license, the Swedish Transport Agency has a helpful brochure on its website.

Swedish Transport Agency

Driving in Sweden - Brochure

For information on obtaining a Swedish driving licence you can visit Körkortsportalen.